Coach’s Talk – A Report from Steve Hazzelby

You can read Steve’s reports in the Matchday Program, at each home game. The Programme for this weeks game will be available later this week, on the website, at


Last Saturday saw the sixth game in this new season. It is fair to say that we had started well with four wins and a draw up until this point. The week before we had beaten a very good Bournville side who were the top try scorers in the league and expectations were high as we travelled up to Blaydon in our fourth away game.

Blaydon had not started their campaign well and were looking for their first win. Despite this we were taking nothing for granted and they recorded the first score of the game with a penalty after 2 minutes.

Conditions on the day were excellent. Warm weather and an artificial 4G pitch, where fast open Rugby was the order of the day. We scored our first try of the day after No 8 Tom Ailes drove over after a great catch and drive line out by the forwards. He added his second try after 13 minutes with a lovely break down the right flank. Steve Collins added the conversion and we were 12-3 up in the first fifteen minutes.

Play was a bit disjointed from both sides as penalties were given away unnecessarily. However, we added our third try of the day from flanker Will Lees, converted by Steve, further extending our lead to 19-6 going into the last ten minutes. We were putting a lot of pressure on Blaydon’s defences, keeping possession and looking to move the ball wide at every opportunity. After a kick return by Blaydon, we collected and ran the ball back strongly for fullback Andy Riley to score a great try on the right. In fairness Blaydon did hit back with a well worked try of their own but we went into half time with a commanding 24-13 lead.

The second half was totally dominated by Sedgley with another six unanswered tries, all converted by Steve, which Blaydon had no answer to.

Will Lees scored his second after 6 minutes after another great catch and drive by the forwards. Winger Sam Lowthion intercepted a loose pass to score between the posts, followed by captain Matt Riley crashing through to extend the lead to 45-16. A second interception try by Sam (his second), followed by a lovely second try for Andy Riley, after a sweeping move along the line by the backs, was too much for the beleaguered Blaydon players who were literally out on their feet, after trying to push back wave after wave of Sedgley attack.

Flying winger Jamie Harrison rounded off the day with a scorching try to bring the final score 66-16 to the Tigers. Eight tries and a bonus point win saw us go top of the league and a great day for the squad, coaches and management.

This Saturday is going to be a far greater challenge as we entertain old rivals Fylde at Park Lane. They have started their campaign really well with five wins and are currently fourth in the league, so we will have to be at our best to take the points. Please come and support your special Tigers team and enjoy a great game of Rugby.

Cheers, Hazz